26 January 2009

God Spent Time on You

About a week ago, I heard Alabama's cover of an old 'N Sync song titled, "God Must Have Spent a Little More Time on You."  In this song a man celebrates the life-changing love of a woman.  You can tell that he knows her well.  He details some of God's finer work in her.  

The chorus is repeated often...
"Your love is like a river peaceful and deep
Your soul is like a secret that I could never keep
When I look into your eyes I know that it's true
God must have spent a little more time on you"

The song is a beautiful reminder, God spent time on YOU.

The songwriter admits his assumption that God spends time on every person. Personally, I find it exhilirating that the living God of the universe actually spends ANY time on ANY one person! Does your self-worth rise as you consider that God Himself would be involved in designing you? It's true! Another songwriter (1000 BC) gives us words with which to celebrate when we consider God's role in our birth.  Hear the Psalmist, 

"Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out;
you formed me in my mother's womb.
I thank you, High God--you're breathtaking!
Body and soul, I am marvelously made!
I worship in adoration--what a creation!
You know me inside and out, 
you know every bone in my body;
You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit, 
how I was sculpted from nothing into something.
Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth;
all the stages of my life were spread out before you,
The days of my life all prepared
before I'd even lived one day."
Psalm 139:13-16  (The Message) 

God personally wove you together in the womb.  He personally knit your body and soul together. He chose the color of your eyes, the shape of your smile, the twinkle of your eyes, the thickness of your hair and the tone of your skin.  I could go on and on celebrating the fine details that God has given each person.

Certainly, humans look at what can be seen and develop so-called standards of beauty.  However, the person who looks deeply into another's eyes, who hears their heart and knows their desires, is a person who can identify God's finer creative details.  

Obviously, God did not spend any more time on any one person. He personally made each person uniquely--including you as the individual you are.  And that's worth celebrating.

No comments: