I had a good friend in grad school, no doubt burned a time or two, who decided this phrase needed a makeover in order to represent reality. She decided that it should read this way:
"Absence makes the fond heart wander."
There is a world of difference between these two maxims. On the one hand, time and distance can seem to intensify a couple's feelings for one another. On the other hand, there are some relationships that find truancy to be a problem. Perhaps the passion that once sizzled begins to fizzle as the time for being absent from one another increases.
These two sayings seem to capture my relationship with Jesus Christ. I've known Him for more than four decades. I've had times of great knowledge and times of deep intimacy. He is never absent from me. I, however, am capable of going on holiday from Him.
When that happens, a distance develops where I am not responding to all that He is with all that I am. The world system becomes more attractive. My flesh is more prone to be distracted from Jesus as the source of my strength and deepest fulfillment. I begin to buy into the lies of Satan regarding God's sovereign goodness. The devil gains traction in the unseen warfare of my soul. Weariness sets in.
Jesus plainly states that "abiding" is the answer to "absence." Jesus said to His followers, "I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing" (John 15:5). Abiding carries the central idea of "being at home, being comfortable with." I think of my heart exercising the gift of hospitality with my Lord. When He has free rein, I experience satisfaction through Him.
My love for Christ grows most when I spend time seeking Him through His Word, communing in prayer, living in the community of His body, meditating on Scripture and responding in obedient worship. Opening my heart to Him through spiritual disciplines, I am no longer "absent." My desire for 2009 is to deepen my affection for Christ, fully aware of His magnificent presence.
No comments:
Post a Comment